Breaking News

Hammers Beat Man Utd In Final Upton Park Clash

West Ham United gave Upton Park a fitting swansong on Tuesday night as they beat Manchester United 3-2 in the Premier League.

The clash was the last at the Boleyn Ground as the Hammers are set to move into the Olympic Stadium for next season.

The game was delayed by 45 minutes due to bottles being thrown at the Manchester United team bus en route to the stadium.

The Hammers made the ideal start to the clash as they took the lead in the 10th minute to get the home support right behind them. Cresswell picked out Lanzini with a pass in behind and he crossed low for Diafra Sakho to direct a finish home.

Andy Carroll had a terrific chance to build on the early lead when he took advantage of Blind's poor positioning to get one-on-one with the goalkeeper, but his effort was weak and easily saved.

West Ham were in control of the first half and had the full voice of the Upton Park faithful to see them to a 1-0 lead at the break.

However, in the 51st minute Anthony Martial levelled matters for United. Rashford initiated the attack down the right before flicking the ball to Juan Mata who payed it up for Martial to finish from close range.

Dimitri Payet was agonisingly close to restoring the lead for West Ham when the former Marseille man pounced on a loose ball on the edge of the box before striking just wide of David De Gea's post.

Martial came to the rescue again, but this time in defence as he cleared the ball off the United goal line after Carroll powered a header on target from a corner.

The Frenchman then gave the visitors the lead for the first time in the 72nd minute. Rashford received the ball from Wayne Rooney and curled a pass to Martial who burst past Reid with pace before placing a chipped shot into the corner of the goal.

Only four minutes later the hosts were back on level pegging. Payet knocked a free kick into the wall but got the ball back and sent a cross into the box for Michail Antonio to head home into the top corner of United's net.

The all-action tie delivered yet another goal in the 80th minute. The Hammers completed their stunning comeback as Winston Reid rose above Blind to bullet a header into the back of the net from Payet's free kick to secure three points.


Staff writter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.